As the temperature rises, so do your opportunities to commune with nature. Do not let poison ivy ruin your plans!
One beautiful summer day, Joanna recruited her two young children to help her work in the backyard. After working in the vegetable garden, she and her kids turned their attention to the patch of weeds growing at the back of the yard and along one side of the house.
The next morning, Johanna awoke to find a slightly uncomfortable rash erupting on her arms and lower legs. So did her daughters. Over the course of the day, their rashes grew progressively worse. By Monday morning the three were scratching furiously. By mid-afternoon, they were in the doctor's office. The diagnosis? Poison ivy.
Poison ivy,oak, and sumac grow almost anywhere—deep in the woods, at the local park, in the sand dunes at the beach, or in your yard.
The culprit behind the extremely uncomfortable allergic skin rash of poison ivy, oak, and sumac is urushiol (pronounced "you-ROO-shee-ol"), an oily substance found in every part of the plant except the pollen. Upon contact with the skin, urushiol is almost immediately absorbed. If not removed quickly—within about 10 minutes—an allergic reaction (in most people) begins with redness and swelling followed by extreme itchiness, and then by blisters (filled with a yellowish fluid) that can break open, causing crusting and scaling.
Most people develop a full-blown rash within 12-72 hours of exposure. But, depending on the amount of exposure others may find themselves with their first rash after 7-10 days. Although the itching and swelling can be treated and controlled, there is no cure per se for the rash itself, which usually takes 1-3 weeks to run its course.
Most people do not develop a rash upon first exposure, but rather after repeated exposures. In addition, sensitivity to urushiol often decreases with age, so children tend to be much more susceptible to urushiol-caused rashes than adults.
Despite what you may have heard, you cannot catch the rash from someone who has it, nor can you spread the rash from one part of your body to another by scratching. You must have direct contact with urushiol yourself.
However, you can come into contact with urushiol in a number of ways:
It takes about 10 minutes for urushiol to be fully absorbed into the skin. If you know you have come in contact with it, the best treatment is to wash the contaminated skin with cool water, with or without soap, as soon as possible. Once the rash has developed, there are a number of treatments that will lessen its severity, including:
If you cover the rash or blisters after applying cream or lotion, do so with a gauze pad, and cover them very loosely so you do not rupture the blisters. Avoid scratching the rash and do not break open the blisters caused by the rash. Though the liquid within the blisters will not spread the rash, bacteria on the fingers and under the fingernails can cause the rash and/or blisters to become infected.
Wash anything you wore, including your shoes, during the time you came in contact with poison ivy, oak, or sumac. Use hot, sudsy water. Also wash anything else that might have come in contact, such as garden tools or sports equipment. You can use rubbing alcohol or a mix of water and bleach.
Although poison ivy, oak, and sumac usually can be treated without medical attention, see a doctor if:
In such cases, your physician or dermatologist will generally prescribe prescription-strength cortisone creams, or in extremely severe cases, oral steroids, to control itching and swelling. In addition, since airborne urushiol particles pose an extreme health danger, seek immediate medical attention if you think you or your child has inhaled such particles, even if symptoms have not yet occurred.
The best way to avoid getting a poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash is to avoid contact with urushiol. Take these steps to protect yourself:
American Academy of Dermatology
American Academy of Family Physicians
Canadian Dermatology Association
Canadian Family Physician
Contact dermatitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated December 26, 2012. Accessed October 2, 2013.
Poison ivy. American Academy of Family Physicians Family Doctor website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/poison-ivy.html . Updated December 2010. Accessed October 2, 2013.
Poison ivy, oak, and sumac. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/m---p/poison-ivy . Accessed October 2, 2013.
Last reviewed October 2013 by Michael Woods, MD
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2012 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.
What can we help you find?close ×